Monday 15 June 2009

Day 166


This week I'm doing my word a day challenge - the words this week are being supplied by MB. (She of the fabulous day that was yesterday).

Her first word was "Blood".

Despite working in a hospital, I was obviously reluctant to use any of the red stuff. If nothing else, there's a hygiene factor to consider. I was walking around the outside of the hospital this morning, when I sat these poppies and realised how perfect they would be.

Not only are they obviously red, they are a symbol of the blood shed during WWI & WWII. Fields of Flanders that, after the bombing had finished, were swathed with masses of poppies who's seeds were germinated by the agitation the fields were under during the war. Since then the poppy has become the symbol of sacrifice, remembrance and hope.

x

No comments: